This fantastically nutritious recipe came about by no means of an epiphany or electric inspiration, just a simple needed-to-use-stuff-up in the fridge and need to feed three hungry mouths sort of thing. I had some left over pumpkin and some awesome pomegranates and . . . bang! That was it, pumpkin puree with pomegranate juice, some spices of course and a crunchy element to finish it off, cinnamon, chili and lime toasted pumpkin seeds. The seeds really set it off and make this dish extra special. This simple but satisfying recipe is fast, fun and spicy . . . just the way I like it (and even my one year-old enjoyed it too)!
Yield: 2-3 servings
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup cooked pumpkin
Juice of 1/2 a pomegranate
1/2 stock cube
2-3 leaves of sage
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1 clove of garlic
2 tsp. coconut oil
salt to taste
Toasted pumpkin seed ingredients:
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1-2 chilis (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. lime zest
1. Sauté the spices, sage and garlic together on low heat with regular cooking oil just until they release their flavor a bit (1 minute or so).
2. Add in the pumpkin purée and the cooked quinoa. Mix together well.
3. Add in the coconut oil at the very end along with the pomegranate juice.
4. Toast the pumpkin seeds for about 2-3 minutes with the spices and a bit of oil.
5. Top the quinoa with the chives and toasted pumpkin seeds. . . and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (based on 3 servings):
Calories: 329 Fat: 12g Total Carbohydrates: 51g Protein: 11g
Note: this does not include the cooking oil called for in the recipe