I saw this episode of Jamie Oliver where he made coconut rice and it got my brain buzzing. I love coconut, I love rice, so naturally coconut rice just sounded simply amazing. But coconut rice is not a meal on its own by any means, it needs a bit of lovin’ from some other ingredients, and what doesn’t sound better than a bit of veggies on top snuggling with the rice! This super fast and simple recipe will have you eating in less than 30, and what’s even better, it’s healthy! I used bok choy and asparagus, but feel free to play around with whatever combo you like best. So to keep it quick and to the point, and as promised quick, let’s get down to business!
Note: To speed things up make the rice first so it’s ready to go once the veggies are done.
1 c. basmati rice
1 c. coconut milk
1 c. milk
1. Follow the cooking instructions on the package, you are just substituting one part of the water with coconut milk.
Yummy add-ins: cardamom, cumin, raisins
Crunchy Asian Vegetables & Cashews
1 head of bok choy
1 c. chopped asparagus
1/2 c. cashews
Ginger Sesame Sauce
8 g ( .2 ounces) fresh ginger
1 Tbs sesame oil
1/4 c. juice
1 Tbs. soy sauce
* If you want a thicker consistency add in a bit of corn starch or arrow root (I thought about this afterwards so I didn’t try, which means you’ll have to play about with the amounts, start off small then add in more to get the consistency you want).
1. Chop the veggies roughly
2. Blend all the sauce ingredients together well.
3. Sauté everything together in a hot wok.
4. Top off the rice with the veggie mix and enjoy!