I had been dreaming of making this pie! The idea for it had been buzzing around in my head for some time now. I had this image of this fabulously indulgent pie with three layers: avocado chocolate, vanilla banana all topped off with a fluffy coconut merigue. . . but the last part fell flat, literally. I had researched and looked online reading many posts on this and I thought I had figured out how to make it whip up and stay up, but I guess I still don’t have the technique down just yet. Mine didn’t whip up to begin with, even though I left the mixer on high for probably 10 minutes or more. This exasperated attempt did give it a nice glossy sheen, so even though it wasn’t fluffy, it was still pretty. The third layer, although a dissapointment, still turned out good, just not as I had imagined. It is still a lovely creamy layer of silky coconuty goodness! The chocolate layer is rich and silky smooth like pudding, while the second layer is banana with silken tofu and fresh vanilla bean. However, after the experiment was said and done, I think that to make the banana layer a bit richer and more solid, the addition of cashews would have worked beautifully. Of course, you say, the crust! The crust is a simple cereal crumble with date syrup and a little non-dairy milk, pressed into the pie pan. So although my dream did not completely come true there is still a silver lining to it all: a quite light dessert, sugar-free, fat-free (only natural fats), no bake, raw = more nutritional and still super yummy. So all in all this is still a super delish pie that was a hit at home, I am just hoping that I will one day find a way to make vegan merigue! If there is anyone out there with experience in making vegan merigue please tell me your secret, I am dying to know!
1 c. cereal
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. date syrup
2 Tbs. milk
Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor then press into your pie pan.
Layer 1: Chocolate Avocado Pudding
1.5 ounces dark chocolate + 3 Tbs non-dairy milk for melting
1 c. avocado (I ended up using 1 medium + 1 small one)
1/4 c. agave
8 spoonfuls stevia (I use the now brand which come with a little spoon)
1 1/2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa
2 Tbs non-dairy milk
1. Melt the chocolate with the 3 Tbs of milk in the microwave, or on the stove top being careful not to burn it!
2. Blend all the ingredients together along with the melted chocolate.
3. Spoon the mixture over the crust and put in the freezer while you make the next layer.
Layer 2: Banilla
1 vanilla bean
2 medium bananas
1/2 silken tofu
2 spoonfuls stevia
1/2 Tbs chia seeds (they help it set up better)
1. Cut the vanilla pod down the middle and scrape out the inside.
2. Put all the ingredinents together in a food processor and blend well.
3. Spoon the layer on top of the chocolate one and put back in the freezer as you make the last layer.
Layer 3: Coconut Cashew
1/2 c. cashews soaked
1/2 coconut milk (only the fat part- it has to be cold to scoop out just this part)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 Tbs chia seeds
2 Tbs toasted coconut flakes for garnish
1. Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes. Once they have soaked blend all the ingredients together in a high powered blender.
2. Spoon this layer on top of the last one and pop it back in the freezer for at least 30-40 minutes. Once it has set up you can garnish it with the toasted coconut flakes.
I hope you enjoy this pie as much as did making it and eating it!