I just got back into working out after the pregnancy and today was practically my first run in a year! I am so incredibly proud of myself for having done 10 km, so I have been on a bit of runner’s high all day, except the hour and half I crashed on the couch for a schnooze. To fuel my new cardio crazy body I needed some serious carbs and what better than a bowl of pasta, when in Rome do as the Romans, literally (however on a slightly smaller scale and 3 hours more north).
I wanted to keep it simple and fuss free but packed with good nutrients to help recovery (because God knows I need it especially now until I get back into the game fo’ reals). In come the super simple cauliflower and avocado sauce. Throw some extra veg in to make that bi-** sing with all around goodness (excuse the Jesse Pinkman reference but I still haven’t gotten over the fact that Breaking Bad is over)! So let me just give you what you want, my fellow veg head, the recipe!
Vegetable stock (enough to boil the cauliflower in) + 1/2 cup to make sauce
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 small avocado
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
1. Boil the cauliflower florets until fork tender.
2. Blend all the ingredients together. Use the stock from the cauliflower.
Toss with pasta and veg. Yeah, that really is it, boil and blend. . . bitches!
Savory pastry dough (phyllo, or regular vegan pastry)
about 1 cup cauliflower and avocado sauce
About 2 sm-med sized potatoes
1-2 sprigs rosemary
salt, pepper and olive oil to finish off
1. Slice potatoes thinly with a food processor or mandolin.
2. Spread a good dose of the sauce on the dough. Sprinkle a bit of rosemary on top.
3. Layer the potatoes on top of the sauce. Finish off with rosemary, salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil and in the oven it goes. Bake according to instructions on pastry dough package &/or the potatoes are soft.